[mythtv-users] MythTV Backend Setup fails on first steps

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 20:38:46 UTC 2014

On 8 Feb 2014 20:33, "Dick Steffens" <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> On 02/08/2014 11:54 AM, Dustin Oprea wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com>
wrote:

> <snip>
>

>>> Pressing <Enter> takes me to a screen that says, "MythTV could not
connect to the database. Please verify your database setting below."

> <snip>
>

>>> What do I need to do to figure out whatever isn't right here and fix it?
>
> <snip>
>

>> Make sure that you can manually log-in to MySQL from the command-line:
>>
>> mysql -u mythtv --password=mythtv -p -h localhost mythconverg
>

> Well, that's where the problem is:
>
> ~$ mysql -u mythtv -password=mythtv -p -h localhost mythconverg
> Enter password:
> Error 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

> I tried mythtv as the password it asked for. I also tried the mysql root
password I created during the installation, and I tried my system user
password. I got the same error message for all three.

> Thanks. Now, how do I fix it? Just go into mysql and reset the mythtv
user password? Or is something amiss?

> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

When you tried your root password, did you change the command to "-u root"
instead of "-u mythtv"?

Martin