[mythtv-users] re-record and delete

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 22:30:40 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Leo Butler <leo.butler at member.ams.org>wrote:

> >   On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Leo Butler <leo.butler at member.ams.org
> >wrote:
> >
> >   > >
> >   > >   Leo Butler wrote, on 07/02/14 19:27:
> >   > >   > Hi, I just changed tuners from an old analog tuner to the
> HDHR3-CC. I
> >   > >   > see that the recordings made by the HDHR are smaller and of
> better
> >   > >   > quality.
> >   > >   >
> >   > >   > I have a fair number of recordings which I would like to have
> >   > >   > re-recorded with the new tuner, and have the old recording
> deleted at
> >   > >   > that time. How can I do this in a reasonable way?
> >   > >
> >   > >   I think you can say "allow rerecord" on the menu. And then you'd
> >   > >   manually delete after it had. But there may be a better way...
> >   >
> >   > Thanks.
> >   > I don't see a way to do this through the recording rules menu. Doing
> >   > what you suggest recording-by-recording would be too time consuming,
> >   > so I am looking for an alternative, better way.
> >
> >   From: Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>
> >
> >   You could add them to a playback group and then delete/rerecord the
> >   playback group.
>
> If I do that, are the recordings deleted immediately? What I am trying
> to do is to replace an old recording with a new one, but only when the
> new one becomes available. Would your suggestion approach do that?

There is an example clause under the "Custom Record" option of "Re-record
SDTV in HDTV".  It seems to look for any current recording without the HDTV
flag set, and records the same show if it sees it in the guide with the
HDTV flag set.   That would not delete the existing recording, but you
could easily do that yourself once the new HDTV recording shows up.  Using
it, or a variation of it is probably your best bet.

John