[mythtv-users] Status of OpenGL ES2.0 support?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 23:39:23 UTC 2014

On 7 February 2014 09:44, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the main UI painter is OpenGL and video playback is OpenGL based, then it
> should reuse the context.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/videoout_opengl.cpp#L308
>
> Are you sure it was an OpenGL related crash?

I am... i don't recall the exact message, but googling at the time
linked it to creating a new surface.
I did find some Qt5 patches to fix it, but that was only a hack to
force it to reuse an existing surface...

> That's not my experience. My testing with XBMC/ OpenElec was generally
> pretty good. My own code has no problem with most of the H264 samples I
> throw at it (I don't have any MPEG2/VC1 codec licences) - and those have a
> variety of audio codecs.

I have given up on the pi for that reason.. could be it's my Pi only...

Using the xbmc mythtv frontend plugin, I could easily watch a mpeg2 (I
bought the codec) with AC3 audio, but any mpeg2 with mp2 audio would
cause massive stutter.

As this was what I was experiencing with my own code, I looked no further.

maybe I should have