[mythtv-users] Status of OpenGL ES2.0 support?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 21:42:25 UTC 2014

Hi Mark.

Long time no see.

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:

> Simply not true. That's exactly how mythtv handles its OpenGL drawing,
> with the

My last attempt to run myth on a raspberry pi (which has no
Opengl  acceleration under X)
immediately abort when video playback start due to using a second surface.

Same when accessing the settings.

exception of the settings screens which are still handled by Qt internals
> (and the code to get rid of that has been sitting in trac for 2 years - and
> as an aside, getting rid of the Qt painting would fix a number of other
> issues with blank screens with some linux video drivers and OS X).

I haven't seen such ticket in trac. If you'd be kind enough to point me to
a link.

> I don't know what the state of Qt5 support is with mythtv, but there is a
> Qt5 package available for raspbian that has the correct OpenGL ES 2.0
> configuration and uses the raspberry pi makespecs so the drivers are all
> initialised correctly (http://twolife.be/raspbian/). That should require
> minimal code to get a frontend working on the pi. It's doable with Qt4 but
> more work and the Qt code is far less efficient.

Myth has been modified to fully support qt5 in current master.

That's the root I've taken on my attempts to run on the pi

But performance were terrible. I could even decode mp2 audio fast enough to
keep up with video.
On xbmc I suffer the same fate and only got good results when playing ac3
or dts and using pass through so no decoding is involved.