[mythtv-users] Low end NUC as backend/frontend?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 01:34:42 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 5:26 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1 February 2014 08:58, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to try this, but I don't have the same configuration that the
>>> wiki talks about. It says "3.1 General playback
>>> 3.1.1 Deinterlace playback"
>>> and I have "General playback
>>> vertical/horizontal scaling and scan displacement"
>>> I'm using steppes 2.3 fixes 0.27 in an Ubuntu 120.4 lts desktop.
>>> I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks Daryl
>>
>> Setup -> Video -> Playback
>>
>> go to Playback Profile page (3/10)
>
> I get Playback Profile Page (3/8)
>>
>> Create a new video profile, or modify an existing one.
>
> I get Current Profile, with several choices, ADD NEW and DELETE
>>
>> In the deinterlacing section, choose Interlaced (2X, HW) if you have
>
> I don't see a deinterlacing section
>
>> chosen OpenGL as rendering method, or Interlaced (2X) if you've chosen
>> a software one.
>>
>> Jean-Yves
>
> After installing a new Nvidia graphics card the display was excellent
> for a while, and then I noticed some tearing. Yesterday I looked for
> additional drivers and changed from the 331 which was "activated but
> not in use" for the 304 prop driver, and all looks great again, I hope
> for good.
> Would different themes or distros cause the differences we're seeing
> in where things are? At this point I'm happy, but I'd like to
> understand how to "let my LG do the deinterlacing", just in case
> things change again.
> Thanks, Daryl

I know I probably refer to XBMC a bit much on this list, but I am
spending quite a bit if time on their forums these days. There are
several long threads on Intel NUCs that make interesting reading,
although you have to filter out the windows users for useful insights
on linux performance.

Issues I have noticed cropping up time and time again:

1. Power on/off/suspend/WOL - if WOL is on, the power switch won't work, etc.
2. Graphics drivers are faulty on some models (whether this is just a
windows thing or applies to Linux too is unclear to me)
3. Take care to get the right one - some don't have an ethernet port
(you can cobble one off the thunderbolt port on that model) - some
have room for a 2.5 inch disk, some don't - some have sata, some don't
- early models lacked a usb header that many people wanted for doing
an internal IR receiver.
4. Also be aware that they do have fans, but there are some fanless
cases available at a cost.

See

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140534

Personally I wouldn't use anything other than an nVidia graphics
solution[1], pity they went out of the motherboard chipset business as
discrete cards always add to cost, space and cooling requirements.

[1] particularly when, like in a PVR, you want deinterlacing!