[mythtv-users] Can't watch live TV

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Feb 4 20:32:57 UTC 2014

On 02/03/2014 08:51 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Dick,
>
> Tuesday, February 4, 2014, 2:40:11 AM, you wrote:
>
> I see an unknown tuner type up there. Did I miss something in the setup?
>
> -- Regards, Dick Steffens
>

> That looks like your capturecard is not properly recognised/initialized.
> Look at the initialisation in dmesg.

You probably failed to complete the setup of one of your tuners. Tuners
are used in reverse order for Live-TV, so as to avoid stepping on tuners
which may be used for recordings.
And every tuner must be completely set up. Your *last* tuner by priority
is the one to look at.

General points to consider:
It is useful to set all digital tuners to provide for only ONE tuner
instance, at first, until you are sure that the tuner(s) work correctly.
(Set 'Max Recordings' to 1, under 'Recording Options', for each digital
card in Card Setup).

If you are using 2 tuners of the same type, you should determine that
the udev rules for those tuners produce consistent device placement on
boot: eg. tuner 1 should always show up as /dev/video0 etc etc.. (Lots
of posts on the list about this, and articles in the wiki.)  This does
not apply to dual-tuner cards or tuners like the hdhomerun which already
know that they are twinned, but both 'sides' of these must be set up as
individual tuners and named as such.

If your tuner(s) require specific modules, you *may* need to set up
modprobe conf files, or some scripting (in rc.local or equal) to unload
and then reload the modules in the correct order. If the tuner has this
problem, it will appear to be properly initialized but will fail to work
properly. ( Been there, etc. I have tee-shirts for sale....)

HTH.

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury