[mythtv-users] Is there an approved may to remove frontend settings?

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 00:21:33 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 6:31 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 2/3/2014 6:20 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
>>
>> (including the hostname versus hostname at localhost versus
>> hostname at ipaddress distinctions)
>

> It will be whatever the system returns when you run `hostname` from a
> terminal.  It will either be the hostname alone, or the FQDN
> (hostname.domain.tld), depending on how your distro is configured.  The
> "@" symbol is reserved for user names.
>

>> if I have MythTV configured with a config.xml file (containing a
>> unique identifier that does not match the machines hostname) and I
>> accidentally run the FE or BE as the wrong user (say the desktop user
>> instead of the mythtv user - ie meaning that the config.xml file will
>> fail to be found as it will be in a different home directory) will
>> MythTV automatically populate the settings table with a new host
>

> Yes, however settings are only written as they are changed from the
> defaults. An action such as described should only insert a handful of
> configuration settings such as locale information.

Ok, I found it in /etc/mythtv/config.xml.(thanks MikeP) It opened in a
firefox browser. The text that was not surrounded by < >says:

Set the <LocalHostName> hostname override below only if you want to
use something other than the machine's real hostname for identifying
settings in the database.  This is useful if your hostname changes
often, as
otherwise you'll need to reconfigure mythtv every time.

NO TWO HOSTS MAY USE THE SAME VALUE

Because it opened in a browser, I don't think my gksudo gedit skills
will do the trick here, will they? I'm not having problems, I'm trying
to prevent them, but don't want to create others in the process. This
looks like a "sleeping dog". If I inserted a new local host name, what
would have to be done to the BE for harmonious operation afterwards?
Daryl