[mythtv-users] Is there an approved may to remove frontend settings?

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 22:16:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 2/3/2014 3:54 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Michael T. Dean
>> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

>>> No, the proper solution, then, is to change the
>>> proper-host-name-but-improper-settings profile host name (using
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend
>>> ) to some "unused" value (like "garbage" or "oops" or whatever), then
>>> change
>>> the wrong-host-name-but-proper-settings profile host name to the proper
>>> host
>>> name using the same approach.

>>> Eventually it will be there-, but as part of a change to the whole
>>> profile
>>> mechanism that will also stop using host names as the *default* value for
>>> the profile identifier.  The host name of a MythTV system is completely
>>> irrelevant.  However, we need /some/ name for the profile, and years ago
>>> someone decided to use host name as a default.
>>>
>>> Note, too, that the host name is only the *default* name used for the
>>> profile.  Users should probably--because of the problems they have
>>> keeping
>>> host names consistent/constant over time--specify the profile name they
>>> want
>>> when first configuring the backend settings (by specifying a name for
>>> "Custom identifier") or as a LocalHostName override in their config.xml.
>>> If
>>> you do, you can change your host name all you like, and as long as you
>>> have
>>> users running MythTV applications properly configured (with a valid
>>> config.xml, as created when you configured backend settings and specified
>>> "Custom identifier"), all will work.
>>
>> So is there a way to go into an existing combined FE/BE setup and
>>
>> change the default, hostname dependent, profile and create a custom
>> identifier?
>

> The profile name is defined by the config.xml, and the location of the
> config.xml is defined by the $HOME and $MYTHCONFDIR environmental variables.
> If you want to run multiple profiles on a single machine, or split the
> frontend from the backend, create a new config.xml with the new profile
> name, and manipulate your environment to get MythTV to read that new file.

My attempt to find "config.xml" shows no file or directory exists,
admittedly I am a newb, but I could create a new file, although I
wouldn't know where to put it. My question relates directly to Mr.
Dean's advice as follows:

Users should probably--because of the problems they have keeping host
names consistent/constant over time--specify the profile name they
want when first configuring the backend settings (by specifying a name
for "Custom identifier") or as a LocalHostName override in their
config.xml.  If you do, you can change your host name all you like,
and as long as you have users running MythTV applications properly
configured (with a valid config.xml, as created when you configured
backend settings and specified a "Custom identifier"), all will work.

If I'm reading Mike right this should be done when first setting up
the BE. Would inserting a config.xml file in the appropriate place now
avoid hostname muckup problems in the future? If so, where should I
put it, and what should it look like?   Thanks   Daryl