[mythtv-users] Is there an approved may to remove frontend settings?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 3 01:15:35 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 10:03:47PM +0000, Tony Gould wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote, on 02/02/14 22:01:
> >
> >>for what it's worth, I agree with Bill. I'm happy to change some of the
> >>other tables with SQL (backing up every step of the way), but I wouldn't
> >>go near the settings table. I thought about doing it once, but after
> >>doing a SELECT query to see what was there I quickly decided it was a
> >>very risky idea.
> >
> >And for what it's worth, the ONLY table which I have seriously
> >fiddled with IS the settings table. I checked at one point and
> >found that I had three different hostnames, and a fair number of
> >duplicate settings *for the same hostname*.
> >
> >No damage ensued. The only other table I touch is the recorded
> >table, when inserting downloaded videos to poke in the filesize.
> >But that is done by a script.
> >

> so if we put you and me together we could have a team that could
> safely write to the whole database :)

   SETTINGS is also one of my personal favorites. I am less interested
in clearing out the cruft. I like to make sure that settings are
consistent between machines. It's much easier and more reliable to do
this with a script that dings the database than to futz around with a
bunch of menus all over the place.

   Ideally this too would be just another menu option but it's pretty
quick and easy to do this sort of thing for yourself rather than
waiting on the developers or even diving into the C++ code.

   That's one of the cool things about database driven apps.