[mythtv-users] Any way to change category of recordings from frontend

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 2 21:14:40 UTC 2014

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 18:48:03 -0000, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 02/02/2014 01:29 PM, John P Poet wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Tony Gould wrote:
>>
>> Is there a recommended way to do this via the frontend? Here in
>> the UK, EIT uses "Movie" sometimes and "Film" at other times, and
>> I'd like to be able to see all of them together in one place in
>> the recordings view.
>>

>> It is a tiny bit more work, but you can create "recording groups". For
>> each recording rule, you tell it which recording group to place that
>> recording. So, for your Sherlock recording rule, tell it to put any
>> future recordings into the "Movie" recording group. You can then view
>> *a* recording group on the "Watch Recordings" screen.
>>
>> I don't know which theme you have selected, but Steppes is an exampleof
>> a theme which lets you see what recording groups are available.With any
>> theme, you can use the [Rewind] and [FastForward] buttons onyour remote
>> (or < and > on the keyboard) to cycle through the availablerecording
>> groups. By default you are shown the "All" recording group,which has
>> all recordings regardless of what other group that recordingmay
>> primarily belong to.
>>
>> You can move existing recordings to a different recording group on the
>> Watch Recordings screen. Go to the show you want to change and hit
>> [M]enu (possibly twice to see the right menu) and select "Add thisgroup
>> to playlist". Then hit [M]enu again and select "Playlist Options->
>> Storage Options -> Change Recording Group" and select whichrecording
>> group you want those recordings moved to. Note that thefirst option on
>> the list of Recording Groups will be "Add New".
>
> Right, recording groups are user-specified/user-editable data.Categories
> are listings-service-provided/non-editable data.
>
> Mike

And you can even create "recording rule templates" to automatically place
both Movie & Film categories into your new recording group.

Create two templates named "Movie" and "Film" and set them both to use
your new recording group. Also set the rule to 'Find One', start
early/stop late, metadata etc as you wish. Then whenever you hit Record on
a Film or Movie they'll go to the right place, without having to set the
options each time.

Documentation for templates is sparse, but the essentials are here:
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/71c65b/mythtv