[mythtv-users] Is there an approved may to remove frontend settings?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 18:24:54 UTC 2014

Hoi Tony,

> Bill Meek wrote, on 02/02/14 16:48:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I respectfully disagree. There are also tables with a column name of
>> 'host',
>> so the list is longer.
>>
>> You can do the above, with as many backups as you like. If a problem
>> shows up
>> immediately, you're lucky and a restore gets you up and running. That
>> also
>> assumes that any problems are identifiable either in operation or in
>> the logs.
>>
>> If you're not lucky, a problem occurs days/weeks/years later and you
>> likely
>> have forgotten about what was done plus the backups created at the
>> time are
>> useless. Or, maybe a future upgrade changes a table that was missed or
>> had
>> rows incorrectly deleted and the update process fails.
>>
>> I'd suggest leaving well enough alone. Your computer, your choice...
>>
>> Ah, what Raymond said (define the need.)
>>

> for what it's worth, I agree with Bill. I'm happy to change some of the
> other tables with SQL (backing up every step of the way), but I wouldn't
> go near the settings table. I thought about doing it once, but after
> doing a SELECT query to see what was there I quickly decided it was a
> very risky idea.

I do database programming in an other context. One of the thing I
always do is lock the database for access by inexperienced users and
at the same incorporate all the needed controls in the frontend. I
think in this context removing old obsolete references should be part
of that.
At the same time I must confess I do manipulate the myth database on
occasion, but only if I fully understand the context. Most of the time
I only lookup data.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven