[mythtv-users] Is there an approved may to remove frontend settings?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Feb 2 16:05:29 UTC 2014

On 02/02/14 07:18 AM, Anthony Giggins wrote:
> is there an approved way to remove old frontend hostnames from the database?
>
> I've got a mix of old hostnames with a mix of with & without domain names.
>
> Happy if someone could point me at the correct tables I have a good
> understand of SQL.

"Approved"? No. Like any deep spelunking, it can get dangerous.
So start with a backup of the database, or 2 or 3!

The settings table holds settings for each 'instance' of myth. It sounds
like you may have entries which actually point to the same box, due to
your namechanges. And some entries are properly set to NULL. A complete
mythtv setup puts about 250 settings into the settings table.

As a first step, make sure that your computer has the correct hostname
set in /etc/hostname (and that 'hostname' on the command line returns
the same thing!).

Then look at the settings table.
mysql> select * from settings;
and
mysql> select * from settings [where hostname="correcthostname"];

If you get 750 records and 300 records respectively, you have some work
to do!

You may have active entries under the hostname 'localhost' too. So you
cannot just delete ALL the 'incorrect' settings without checking that
there is a correct duplicate value entry. Most of the 'localhost'
entries can be/should be set to your hostname. But don't mess with the
'NULL' entries.

You can use:
select value, data, count( value) from settings group by value having
count(value) > 1 ;
to find duplicate instances of 'value' in settings
Similar calls will give duplicates in other tables.

Beyond that, the hostname is also a field in the following tables:
  capturecard
  displayprofilegroups
  housekeeping
  inuseprograms
  jobqueuea
  jumppoints
  keybindings
  livestream
  music_playlists
  profilegroups
  recordedartwork
  recordedfile
  recorded
  scannerpath
  storagegroup
  tvchain
  weatherscreens
  weathersourcesettings

Having duplicate hostname rows in most of these tables is innocuous as
only the 'correct' entries will be in use. You can easily do a 'delete
from ... where hostname="wrong";' in those tables.

But you will have to check to see if items with the 'wrong' hostname' in
the recorded* tables are actually visible in 'Watch Recordings'. You may
hange those entries, and find that you have more recorded shows than you
thought!

You *may* want to do backups at intermediate stages and proceed carefully.

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury