[mythtv-users] Mythbackend suddenly deleting everything marked for deletion including unwatched

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 03:27:08 UTC 2014

On 1/31/14, 10:18 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Stephen,
>
> Saturday, February 1, 2014, 4:11:52 AM, you wrote:
>

>> On 1/31/14, 10:02 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>> Hoi Discussion,
>>>
>>>   Some two hours ago I had the weirdest thing.
>>>   I was watching a recording and when it finished it sprang as usual
>>>   back to the list (unwatched recordings) and I saw some recordings
>>>   marked as unfindable. If had that before and restarting the viewer
>>>   solved it. But not this time. All recording not marked to keep where
>>>   gone, including a few unwatched and the one I had just watched.
>>>   When I realised what had happend I took the backend and the volume
>>>   offline. I'm now running an undelete with ext4magic on everything
>>>   recorded the last month, which seems to go fine. I only had first to
>>>   create space to store the files. The deleted files are some 180 Gb
>>>   and what I,m now undeleting is something in between a quarter and a
>>>   half of that, but I probably only want to restore the unwatched
>>>   ones.
>>>
>>>   Anybody an idea how this happened and how to restore the recordings
>>>   to the database. I could restore the database to last night, but
>>>   that leaves today out.
>>>
>> I've gone to mythweb and found pending deletion programs there.
>> But, if you have zero set for retaining programs, you may be SOL (Sh*t
>> Out of Luck).
>> That said, we know nothing of your distribution/OS, version of MythTV or
>> other configuration of your MythTV.
>
> I'm running Gentoo with Mythtv 0.26.0_p20130922  The backend
> installation is a few month old with kernel 3.10.7
>
> Tot mails,
>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens
> --

That's a start. Gentoo version?
Do you have your mythtv logs available?

Had to trace a problem just tonight, an excerpt of my "tail -f
/var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log" found my defective reading at fault.
In this case, it'd most likely be the backend log that would show something.

To illuminate the problem at my end, I set tail up, highlighted the
portion at the end, had my wife trigger the video view, then copied the
rest of the log. For you, it'd be a bit more complicated, to duplicate
the problem.
But, each step, OS, OS version, Myth version, logs (especially when
things go sideways) help to narrow down the problem more quickly.
It beats a game of 20 questions times 7000 by far.  :)

I'm going to bed soon, but there are quite a few folk here who can also
help.