[mythtv-users] Live TV broken?

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Wed Dec 31 21:50:16 UTC 2014

On 12/31/2014 1:43 PM, E James wrote:
> On 31/12/2014 02:20, Chris Gentle wrote:
>> Within the last couple of weeks, my Live TV has started breaking up
>> and distorting really bad.  I'm not sure exactly when it started but
>> it has become unwatchable.  I do over-the-air only and have really
>> good signal strength (90+) coming into my HD Homerun.  I bypassed the
>> HD Homerun and hooked a TV straight to the antenna to verify that the
>> signal is good. No artifacts in the picture at all.  Also switched
>> out the HD Homerun with a spare one but that didn't make any
>> difference either.
>> There have been no hardware changes in my myth system in months.
>>
>> I did a completely fresh installation of Mythbuntu 14.04.1 today just
>> to see if that would make a difference but it did not.  The problem
>> persists even after a reinstall.  I recorded a show, copied the
>> recording to another machine and played back with mplayer.  The
>> recording itself is bad.  The artifacts show up in the recorded file
>> so I think I've narrowed the problem to the recording phase rather
>> than playback.
>>
>> I'm not sure what to look at next.  Any suggestions?  Any new known
>> problems with Live TV?
>>
>> Version Info:
>>
>> MythTV v0.27.4-27-g40506c3
>> Mythbuntu 14.04.1
>> nVidia GeForce 210
>> nVidia driver 331.113-0ubuntu0.0.4
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Chris

> I have a Shuttle DS47 running Lubuntu 13.10 and MythTV .27 combined
> BE/FE. The monitor is an LG monitor / tv and MythTV uses 1 HDHomerun
> to receive the 2 main Freeview multiplexes. I recently discovered that
> some of the MythTV gui pages seem to generate interference which
> upsets reception on the BBC multiplex for both the TV and the
> HDHomerun. More details if requested. I am considering using a
> frontend on a different PC to eliminate the problem but it seems to
> require more MySQL expertise than I currently possess.

The OP subject says, "LIve TV" is broken.  Is it only live TV or are
recordings breaking up too?  If both, then I would suspect the HDHR
power supply.  I have had several go bad.  I could still ping the HDHR
and sometimes tune channels, but it would drop out while recording.  One
of the bad ones was so hot that it burned me when I unplugged it.  Lucky
it didn't start a fire.