[mythtv-users] Live TV broken?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Dec 31 02:46:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Chris Gentle <gentlec at gmail.com> wrote:

> Within the last couple of weeks, my Live TV has started breaking up and
> distorting really bad.  I'm not sure exactly when it started but it has
> become unwatchable.  I do over-the-air only and have really good signal
> strength (90+) coming into my HD Homerun.  I bypassed the HD Homerun and
> hooked a TV straight to the antenna to verify that the signal is good.  No
> artifacts in the picture at all.  Also switched out the HD Homerun with a
> spare one but that didn't make any difference either.
> There have been no hardware changes in my myth system in months.
>
> I did a completely fresh installation of Mythbuntu 14.04.1 today just to
> see if that would make a difference but it did not.  The problem persists
> even after a reinstall.  I recorded a show, copied the recording to another
> machine and played back with mplayer.  The recording itself is bad.  The
> artifacts show up in the recorded file so I think I've narrowed the problem
> to the recording phase rather than playback.
>
> I'm not sure what to look at next.  Any suggestions?  Any new known
> problems with Live TV?

Your subject line focuses on LiveTV, but then you say you record a show and
it too was bad. Do you mean you did a scheduled recording, rather than a
livetv recording? If not, try that.

Since the HDHomerun is a network based device, Could there be anything on
your network using a ton of bandwidth and corrupting your recordings? I
know I used to get that when I'd do some large file transfers between
computers on my LAN while my HDHomerun was being used to record something,
and the recording would end up all messed up.

--
Ron Frazier