[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HDTV?

Ken Truesdale kentruesdale at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 11:46:13 UTC 2014

Personally, I like plasma over LCD and I worked hard to find one a year ago.  Even harder to find now that Samsung has discontinued most (all?) of their plasma sets.  Also, remember there is no such thing as an LED TV.  Only an LCD TV with LED backlighting.  (And OLED TVs are not yet practical.)  So you'll almost certainly be shopping for LCD.  I agree with other posters about not worrying about apps on the TV, especially since you are a MythTV person.  I'd also suggest avoiding the curved TV fad - not only does it make it harder to mount, but it further reduces the sweet spot viewing area where LCD already wasn't as good as plasma.

But if you are only switching to HD now, picture quality probably isn't high on your list.  So in that case, you want whatever is cheapest at Costco/Target/BestBuy/Amazon/NewEgg and fits your room and your hookups and has decent longevity for the brand according to something like Consumer Reports.  So wait until the week you are ready to buy, see what's cheapest that week at your preferred place to shop, check for brand longevity from CR, check for fit and connections and then buy.

Ken.