[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HDTV?

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Mon Dec 29 03:42:50 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2014, at 3:18 PM, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So, what's the recommendation from the hive mind?
>
> Whatever you pick make sure to get yourself a good antenna. HD over the
> air is really, really nice. Unless you live in the sticks and all your
> transmitters got shut off a few years ago.

Thanks, but unfortunately antenna.org says I'm out of luck. I'm about 60
miles north of San Francisco where most of the affiliate transmitters are,
and about 2 miles behind a giant hill which blocks whatever signal I would
receive. I'll probably end up getting one of the transcoding HDHomeRun
CableCard models, if they actually manage to come out this year... (it's
been 2 years since announced!)

I did take a look at Costco today but their deals were not compelling. I
didn't see the Haier model but I wasn't looking terribly closely. We did
end up buying a dining room table, though (awesome deal) so the TV may wait
a little longer...! I'd still like to know about pitfalls. I remember
hearing discussion on the list about people having to fake out the EDID to
work around some bugs in the HDMI connection, etc.

Karl