[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HDTV?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 22:32:26 UTC 2014

My strictly anecdotal experience regarding reliability:
1) a recent Panasonic, chosen because Consumer Reports had said they
had the best rate of repair.  THAT rating was issued in 2008, and I
think Panasonic's quality control has slipped, since that TV's
motherboard died after 2 months, and it took 2-3 months to get it
replaced (shortage of replacement boards due to widespread failure)
2) a Vizio, which acquired a panel defect after about 1.5 years
(pixel-wide red line from bottom to middle of screen).  As that TV was
bought with a Square Trade warranty, it was replaced without a problem
(actually, they offered to leave the old unit with us, so it now sits
in the guest room).
3) a JVC bought in 2008.  The only problem it has encountered is a
gradually lengthening boot time.  This used to be a problem, since
it's configured to shut down if it hasn't booted in 10 seconds.
Fortunately, I ran across a web article which described how to change
that default, and the TV has been working flawlessly ever since.

Calvin Dodge