[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HDTV?

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 20:18:00 UTC 2014

Hi all,

My wife and I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that it's time to
enter the HD age, so we're looking for a TV. I'm interested in
recommendations from the MythTV community, specifically pitfalls (or
brands!) to avoid. I think I'd like a full-array LED screen, probably 46-50
inches. Beyond that, I'm not sure. Samsung and LG seem to be decent brands,
and possibly Sharp and Philips, or even Vizio? I don't know if the
super-high refresh rates (120/240 Hz) are useful or just cause problems
with audio/video sync on MythTV. I was shying away from a "smart" TV
because my impression was that they took longer to turn on, and we wouldn't
use any of the "smart" functions (we don't subscribe to any streaming
services... and we have MythTV!). But at my brother-in-law's yesterday I
saw his LG smart TV turned on quickly enough, and it seems to be near
impossible to get away from "smart" TVs these days. My initial plan was to
send the audio over HDMI to the TV and then take a passthrough/passback
SPDIF from the TV to the receiver (which doesn't have HDMI) in hopes of
maintaining A/V sync.

So, what's the recommendation from the hive mind? Oh, and I'm in the U.S.
(in case the screen measurement in inches wasn't a dead giveaway)

Thanks,

Karl