[mythtv-users] Rename

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat Dec 27 20:47:34 UTC 2014

On 27/12/14 20:04, Daryl McDonald wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2014 1:42 PM, "John Pilkington" <J.Pilk at tesco.net
> <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
>  >
>  > On 27/12/14 16:13, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>  >>
>  >> Hoi Daryl,
>  >>
>  >> Friday, December 26, 2014, 2:40:08 PM, you wrote:
>  >>
>  >>> Merry Christmas Mythizens, in an effort to retrieve an ".old"
>  >>> recording ( produced by transcoding) I renamed it through the GUI,
>  >>> which lost the recording to the front end. Do I need to become the
>  >>> mythtvuser to rename these files? If so how do I do that? Or, what
>  >>> is the mythtv sanctioned method of retrieving old recordings?
>   TIA. Daryl.
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> renaming on the prompt you do with mv. So mv <old name> <new name>.
>  >> With this command rights are unaffected, but to be sure check the
>  >> right named recording is owned by the mythtv-user and has at least 644
>  >> rights (readable by everybody and writable by the user)
>  >> If the right named recording is pressent again, mythtv will
>  >> automatically notice this.
>  >>
>  >> Tot mails,
>  >>    Hika
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > ... but it will probably still have the seektable and size of the
> transcoded file until you do a mythcommflag --rebuild, and perhaps a
> mythutil  --clearcutlist.
>  >
>  > But I'm not clear how you 'lost' the file; did you copy the .old file
> over the transcoded one?  Was the transcoded one visible?  Were their
> permissions the same?  Is the file name now really the one that myth
> expects, with no extra/missing characters?
>  >
>  > John
>  >
>  >
>  > mythtv-users mailing list
>  > mythtv-users at mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>  > http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
>  > MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
>
> John, What I did was open "files" in Ubuntu navigate to recordings and
> left click on the recording in question and click on rename and removed
> the .old then same process to add .tcd (for transcoded) to the ad free
> recording, now both display a White myth file id while others in "ls
> -al" show pink, except other .old files.

In that order?  Sounds as if you moved the .old file into myth,
overwriting your transcoded file, then out again into <name>.tcd.

You wanted to rename the file that myth knew about to something else,
and *then* move/rename your .old file.  It sounds as if

mv xxx.mpg.tcd   xxx.mpg

(or renaming via the GUI) should now get back your original recording.

In future:

Transcoding xxx.mpg will leave xxx.mpg (transcoded version) and
xxx.mpg.old (original recording)

Then if you want to get the original back, but keep the transcoded version

mv xxx.mpg   xxx.mpg.tcd
mv xxx.mpg.old   xxx.mpg

The file sizes ought to give a hint if my interpretation is ok.

I'm afraid I don't know what the colours mean - don't use *buntu.

HTH

John