[mythtv-users] Mythweb over SSL stops working after upgrade to mythbuntu 14.04 / apache 2.4

Matthias Thyroff lists at thyroff.net
Thu Dec 25 13:15:40 UTC 2014

Hello List,

I hope everybody is having good holidays! I am using them to look a bit
into an issue I have since upgrading my backend to mythbuntu 14.04: I
cannot access mythweb over SSL, maybe somebody has a hint for me...

If I use the 000-default-mythbuntu.conf as is, i.e. serving unencrypted
on port 80, mythweb works. The conf file looks like this:

<VirtualHost *:80>
         DirectoryIndex mythweb.php
         ServerAdmin webmaster at localhost
         DocumentRoot /var/www/html

         # Available loglevels: trace8, ..., trace1, debug, info,
notice, warn,
         # error, crit, alert, emerg.
         # It is also possible to configure the loglevel for particular
         # modules, e.g.
         #LogLevel info ssl:warn

         ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
         CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined

</VirtualHost>

If I then change the conf file for my server to serve via SSL on port
443, the other pages hosted keep working, but mythweb only shows a blank
screen.

The conf file for ssl looks like this:

<VirtualHost *:443>
         DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm index.html mythweb.php
         ServerAdmin mth at localhost
         SSLEngine On
         SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl/apache.pem
         SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl/private/apache.key
         SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/apache2/ssl/CAcert_chain.pem
         DocumentRoot /home/www/htdocs

         # Available loglevels: trace8, ..., trace1, debug, info,
notice, warn,
         # error, crit, alert, emerg.
         # It is also possible to configure the loglevel for particular
         # modules, e.g.
         #LogLevel info ssl:warn

         ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
         CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined

</VirtualHost>

If I look in the apache error log, I find

[Tue Dec 23 17:51:55.181548 2014] [:error] [pid 24085] [client
78.73.96.203:62840] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function
query_col() on a non-object in
/usr/share/mythtv/mythweb/includes/utils.php on line 59

which according to my googling indicates a possible problem with
authentication in mysql, but I think these findings must be misleading,
in the end the php->mysql things should not change depending on the
apache->browser communication.

If I change back to non-ssl, it works. What can be wrong here???

Thanks for any hints!

Regards

Matthias