[mythtv-users] Netflix integration

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Dec 23 19:37:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Chad Parry <spam at chad.parry.org> wrote:

>  No problem! I had thought that most people on this list would be
> compiling from source anyway. I may update the instructions for how to
> perform surgery on a binary installation.
>
> In short, this package gives me everything I want in Netflix integration.
> I have a wrapper script that interprets the remote control's commands and
> makes them smarter. Here's typically how I use it:
>
>    1. I go to the Internet Video menu, and from there click Netflix.
>    2. The browser opens in fullscreen (kiosk) mode.
>     3. I use the remote's arrow keys to select which household member is
>    logging in.
>     4. I use the remote's arrow keys to find the Netflix search box and
>    click it. The script provides mouse acceleration, so the pointer starts out
>    slowly for fine-grained movements and then speeds up as I hold the button
>    down.
>     5. I use the remote's numeric keypad to enter the name of a show.
>    This uses the multi-tap system from old mobile phones. For example, to type
>    "L" I hit "555." It takes me about 15 seconds to enter a short phrase.
>     6. I use the remote like a mouse to select and start a show.
>    7. The remote's volume controls get forwarded to the Alsa mixer so
>    they work like you would expect.
>    8. When I'm done I hit the Back button to return to MythTV.
>
> The wiki topic itself has more information on the features that are
> available. Read under Usage
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Netflix_Native_Integration#Usage>. Since the
> remote works so well as a mouse with these scripts, I use the same controls
> for Amazon Instant Video and for Comedy Central online.
>
> On 12/23/2014 08:07 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 7:22 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  >>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 4:56 AM, Chad Parry <spam at chad.parry.org> <spam at chad.parry.org> wrote:>
>
>  >>  I've integrated Netflix streaming (and Amazon Instant Video) into my>> MythTV frontend. It's a great experience now that Netflix is supported in>> native Chrome browsers. The scripts and instructions are in the wiki topic  Netflix>> Native Integration>> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Netflix_Native_Integration> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Netflix_Native_Integration>. They should get>> you up and running pretty quickly. Please send me feedback or update the>> wiki if you see any problems.>>>>>>
>
>  > I feel like the following piece of information should be more prominently> featured:>> These instructions assume that you built and installed MythTV yourself. If> you used a binary installation, you will need to reinstall MythTV> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Initial_Installation#Getting_and_compiling_the_source_code> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Initial_Installation#Getting_and_compiling_the_source_code>> to get these features.>
>
>  Agreed, I got excited there for a min.

> [...]
Ahh... thanks for the clarification.

I have been meaning to put together a petition to have Netflix implement
some real keyboard capability into their webapp... It's truly an
accessibility nightmare.  Apparently a lot of folks with disabilities use
third party indexing sites to watch netflix as a result... but most of them
aren't much better (except that you can see where your cursor is when you
tab through).