[mythtv-users] mythbuntu theme 28.16

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Tue Dec 23 02:01:11 UTC 2014

On Dec 22, 2014 3:56 PM, "Michael Watson" <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au>
wrote:

> On 22/12/2014 2:07 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Michael Watson
>> <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:

>>> Or the group of people that are wary of expressing there opinion
because of
>>> all to often statement like "The only persons' opinion that matters is
the
>>> creator/owner/artist who has to please only himsel", "If you want it
>>> different, and you and the original author do not share the same
vision, you
>>> can just go do it", and "The change went though the normal approval
process
>>> ( I approved it )".  Statements like these are not helpful either.
>>>
>>> If you are only developing for yourself, then you would keep it to
yourself.
>>> As you are not being paid or forced to do any development, and your
work is
>>> being committed to the public arena, then you are looking for some sort
of
>>> gratification, and should be expecting some negative feedback.
>>
>> This is a false assumption. Just because I release something doesn't
>> mean I am looking for some sort of gratification. If you've followed
>> this list for any amount of time, then you'll definitely agree that I
>> (the sole Mythbuntu theme developer) am not looking for gratification
>> (unless I'm a Masochist).
>
> Very few people do something for nothing.

You may have missed this whole open source movement.

>>> As is human
>>> nature, you generally receive four times the negative feedback than you
do
>>> positive feedback.  How you handle negative (and positive) feedback is
>>> entirely up to the relevant developer, but to attack someone for
expressing
>>> their view is entirely uncalled for.
>>>
>> People can express their views all they want, but don't be offended
>> when people ask what you don't like about the changes.
>
> Who's getting offended.  Merely expressing my opinion.
>

>>> I have not seen anybody demand that the theme be returned to its prior
>>> state, merely suggestions that the way the theme(s) are released could
be
>>> improved.
>>>
>> Perhaps not in this particular thread (although I've been told in this
>> thread repeatedly that I need to split off into a new theme if I want
>> to do any changes).
>>
>> I suppose I could change how I release theme updates. Would you like
>> to be on the board of directors?
>
> It has been suggested that a split off would be a good idea.
> Maybe themes could work like Myth itself, and have a "Stable Branch" and
a "Development Branch".

This is already possible

>>> Personally I (and my family) dislike all the themes that use the
rotating
>>> around the central position style of layout in the video's section
(like
>>> Mythbuntu theme has recently switched to, and several others use).  So I
>>> *choose* not to use these themes.  By the number of themes using this
style
>>> my view is clearly a minority (amongst theme developers anyway), which
is
>>> pushing me (and my family) to using an alternative product for frontend
use.

>> Any particular reason you don't like that? Also, there are different
>> views for the videos section.
>
> If find the style where everything rotates around the centre confusing to
navigate when using a large collection of videos, when using a remote or
keyboard.  I imagine this style could work well with a touch screen though.

So don't use that view. If you know how it works then it's not confusing.