[mythtv-users] Possible to have 2 HDHomeRuns, one on Antenna, one on cable?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 17:37:06 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net> wrote:
> My problem was not with TV, but with broadband. The solution was to replace
> (on the 3rd visit) all the cable ends, including those inside the plate on
> the wall, and all splitters in the high-speed path.

The typical tech does not want to return to the site
(and the cost of a dispatch is really really high), so
it is not unusual for a tech (especially if it is a repeat
call) to replace everything in sight.  Even if the items
are not actually bad, because it is faster than actually
testing (at least the larger franchises now issue the
tools so that one could find the faults, but it is still
faster to just take the "swap 'till you drop" solution,
especially since a fair percentage of the time it *is*
the household cabling).

I am surprised the 1st (or at least 2nd) tech did not
replace the connectors if they looked at all suspicious,
but maybe the use of compression fittings fooled
them.

An interesting thing going forward is that more and
more cable modems (and the new "do everything"
STBs/household gateways) now include spectrum
analyzer capability in the device.  As the new
devices get rolled out, it will be increasingly possible
to remotely determine the details of the issues rather
than just the power levels and SN numbers.