[mythtv-users] mythbuntu theme 28.16

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Mon Dec 22 15:40:15 UTC 2014

On Dec 22, 2014 7:29 AM, "Nicolas Krzywinski" <myth at site7even.de> wrote:

> Am 22.12.2014, 02:17 Uhr, schrieb <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org>:
>

>> Why do you think mythbuntu was altered for the visually impaired?
>
> As s. o. already mentioned, due to the exagerated big font size in the
recordings section. And partially because of the offensive colorings in the
recordings view - but this is weird, because in the same view there are
nearly unreadable colors used, so all in all this seems to be inconsistent.

> Additionally, in the recordings section and in the informations section
the text escapes the layout at various positions - I assume, you don't use
the recordings section much (or with much lesser recording rules than me)
and the informations section not at all, because this persists up to the
current version...

>> How exactly do you classify a "big software project"?
>
> This was not expressed best; I always have difficulties to find the right
words in english. What I meant is: MythTV consists of many software
modules/parts/elements/whatever and the UI (technically) is only a small
part of it, but when it comes to the usability and the acceptance factor,
the UI takes a much bigger size of the factor in relation to the other
modules.
> This I meant in comparision to a single or few developer project that
consists of one software piece that - when altered - is altered as a whole.
There it is much easier for users to decide whether they like the software
(or changes) (and use it (the software as a whole)) or not. This is the
complicated part of MythTV: though there were many issues when getting
everything to work, I simply love this htpc solution - therefore it is so
sad if small parts of it hugely impact the great user experience.

>> And 0.27 is the latest version. You are on that because it's sensible and
>> 0.28 is still in development.
>
> Ah ok, thanks for explaining this.
>
> Am 22.12.2014, 13:00 Uhr, schrieb <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org>:
>

>> I'll admit that I was a bit puzzled by this discussion since I use the
>> mythbuntu theme and the videos menu looked basically the same to me, but
>
> Haha, same for me!

>> use List View.  I also don't care for the "carousel" type selections.  I
>> think they look great, and would be fine for a small video library, but
>> they don't scale for me.  Maybe I just don't understand how to use them,
>> but I'll take a hierarchy like the list view for my library.  That is one
>
> Yes, exactly. I would never ever find anything without the hierarchy
typed view... :D

>> of the main reasons I never considered trying to use xbmc.  I tried it
>> early on and thought it was pretty, but not really scalable.
>
> Ooook, thanks for that! So I will not waste time in trying xbmc...
>
> Am 22.12.2014, 02:17 Uhr, schrieb <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org>:
>

>> There are many ways to contribute (not everyone can
>> code, not everyone can write good documentation, not
>> everyone can do good UI design, not everyone can do
>> packaging, and not everyone may be able to contribute
>> to a "bug/feature bounty" campaign for someone else
>> to do the work).  But choosing not to contribute in any
>> form is also a choice, and choices have consequences,
>> including having no one to "horse trade" with to get
>> some particular functionality in exchange for something
>> you can do that they can not, or do not want to do (or
>> are lousy at).
>
> I did not opted in to any discussion, related to the Mythbuntu theme,
over the last time, because my main concern is not me. I am fine with my
copy of the old mythbuntu theme. And if once a day this version stops
working, I am able to modify the current mythbuntu theme to fit my needs.
> But this time I could not resist to write to this list, because it
clearly affects multiple people. And because, in my opinion, there has to
be a standard theme for such a great software project that is intuitively
usable and good looking. I tried to explain why I think that this does not
exist currently.
> I have done this, because I assumed that (at least one of) the main
goal(s) of the mythtv developers is to reach as much people as possible.
Maybe I was on the wrong track, and mythtv mainly is targeted to tech
people.
> So, if proposals on how to widen the user base, generally will lead to
"you can do it" answers, I will understand this and save my time in future.

>> 0.27.4 is the latest stable.  0.28/master is in active development,
>> and would generally not be recommended as a daily driver for
>> those who highly value stability.
>
> Thanks for that as well - I mixed this up. Though I am on an older 0.27.x
and even afraid of doing an update to the latest 0.27.... but don't mind,
this is a special traumatic case over here ;-)

> Am 22.12.2014, 02:17 Uhr, schrieb <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org>:
>

>> Some people hugely disliked the decreased density of the Watch Recordings
>> screen. I don't buy that argument - you still have to scroll as many
>> presses to select the recording, no matter how many you can see ahead -
>
> This is not true. Due to fewer elements on one page, you have to page
down/up many more times now.

> --
> Erstellt mit Operas E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Can you shoot me screenshots of the issue areas? I'm unable to look at them
right now but I'd like to take a quick peek later