[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR trials and tribulations.

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 03:27:50 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> When the HD-PVRs came out I was somewhat surprised to find that they were
> USB devices, unlike the HD-Homeruns. I don't know what additional problems
> Hauppauge would have faced by making HD-PVRs Ethernet devices, but it sure
> would have saved everybody else a few.

Hauppauge only supports Windows.  The Windows USB support may
not be perfect, but it has been reasonably good (because the vendors
test extensively there, and either write the drivers themselves, or
contract to have them done, errata included (NDAs to work around
issues are not a barrier in the Windows driver world)).

One can conjecture as to why USB over Ethernet was chosen, and
I can conjecture with the best.  My guess is that at the time of the
decision, it was far more common that one had open USB ports
than one had a home network that could support additional devices
with quite the ease that one could just plug in a USB device.