[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR trials and tribulations.

georgia_tech_swagger georgia.tech.swagger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 02:39:11 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Alan Young <ayoung at teleport.com> wrote:

> I have a HD-PVR running on a ASUS P8Z77-V LE board. The system has run
> multiple kernels and currently has 3.10.10 on it. The board also has USB
> ports provided by the Intel Z77 chipset and a ASMedia 1042 chip.
>
> The HDPVR plugged into it's own port. Other USB devices are plugged into
> separate ports on a different root hub. You can use lsusb -t to see what
> devices are connected to which hubs. To tell which hub belongs to which
> controller, do a lsusb -s <bus>:<port> on the hub device. The iSerial field
> points to the PCI ID of the device. Then do a lspci -s <iSerial_field> to
> see which chip is controlling the hub.
>
> For example, my system shows  ... <truncated>

Yea, I've done all that.  I've plugged it into every bus (including one
that was USB2 ehci) by itself.  No fix.  Though USB2 by itself did increase
time to lockup some.  The specifics on the other chip:

# lspci | grep AS | grep USB
08:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042A USB 3.0 Host
Controller

Asus advertises "Asus USB 3.0 Turbo" ... so perhaps that A on the end
denotes some Asus funniness in the chipset.  The majority of the external
USB3 ports are from the ASMedia chip.