[mythtv-users] Theme question

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 17:41:39 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Mike Carron <jmcarron at starstream.net>
wrote:

> On 12/20/2014 10:53 PM, John P Poet wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Mike Carron <jmcarron at starstream.net
>> <mailto:jmcarron at starstream.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     Is there a reason why I should expect that installing the same
>>     version of Mythbuntu (12.04 and promptly upgrading Myth to 27.4)
>>     from the same USB stick onto two different machines would product
>>     a different selection of available themes in Setup -> Theme Chooser?
>>
>>     On one machine, a Zotac ID36, I get what is apparently the full
>>     catalog of themes, including MythCenter, MythCenter-Wide,
>>     Arclight, Mythbuntu, Terra and several others. On the other
>>     machine, a Zotac AD03, I get Mythbuntu, MythCenter,
>>     Mythcenter-Wide and Terra, none of the others. I can re-install on
>>     the AD03 and get exactly the same result so it shouldn't be a
>>     matter of a botched install. Is there something in the install
>>     process that prevents certain themes from being installed on
>>     certain hardware?
>>
>>     Incidentally, prior to upgrading the MythTV from 0.25 to 0.27 all
>>     front ends presented the same themes in Theme Chooser.
>>

>> It is probably a permission issue.   Make sure that the ~/.mythtv
>> directory (and all of it sub-directories) are writable by whatever user(s)
>> is running mythbackend and mythfrontend.
>>
>> John
>>
>>  ***
> Different themes can have different permissions?

MythCenter, Mythcenter-Wide and Terra ship with myth by default.   Since
you are running Mythbuntu, I am guessing that is being included by default
as well.   All other themes are downloaded "on demand".  I am guessing that
myth does not have permission to download the requested themes to the
directories it wants to download them to.

Assuming your myth user is 'mythtv', try something like:

$ sudo chown -R mythtv:mythtv /home/mythtv
$ sudo chmod -R ug+rwX /home/mythtv

and see if that fixes the problem.

John