[mythtv-users] mythbuntu theme 28.16

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Sun Dec 21 17:24:39 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM, John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> years I have been using Myth.  Such a major change in the look / feel of
>>> theme (in my view) should come as an alternative theme.

>> So a few things.
>>
>> 1) The change I made for another users wife (which I agreed with the
>> change which is why I made it) was released in 28.17, not 28.16 (which
>> is probably causing some confusion in this thread). 28.17 was
>> yesterday, so It's likely that you might actually be looking at the
>> older version of the theme (well, at least not the most current). I
>> would suggest taking a look at the latest release, as I didn't account
>> for folders very well in the previous iteration and this new release
>> fixes that quite well I'm told.
>>
>> 2) I am open to comments, suggests, patches, and pull requests for the
>> theme. Please remember though that as the primary (only) contributor
>> to the theme, I have final say on all design decisions. While I will
>> accept input, this is not a design by committee. (if you want more say
>> on theming decisions, then get involved).
>>
>> 3) What has been said in this thread so far is NOT constructive
>> criticism (or if it is, it's not very helpful). Telling me your wife
>> doesn't like the theme is NOT helpful (because different people have
>> different taste). Telling me your wife doesn't like the new changes is
>> NOT helpful (because it's highly unlikely that I'm going to straight
>> up revert a change). Telling me that she doesn't like X in the new
>> theme because Y IS helpful. The reason that I made the change from
>> 28.16 to 28.17 (see point #1) was precisely because someone told me
>> that the videos section was difficult to use with folders. I was able
>> to reproduce their issue, agreed that it was an issue, and found a
>> resolution to it. The turn around for that was less than 1 week.
>>
>> 4) I will not split this off to a second theme. There are multiple
>> reasons for this, but basically it's a lot of work to do this theme
>> and keep Mythbuntu running. If you look through the themeing repo
>> you'll notice that back in October I committed an old Mythbuntu
>> version as "Mythbuntu Classic". My plan for this was to have a theme I
>> never touched and only committed patches that I received from users,
>> but you'll notice that I haven't had the time to even let the MythTV
>> devs know to package it. Let it also be noted that I've toyed with the
>> idea of making a theme based on the Ubuntu TV design specification
>> (which I've also not done). If I'm going to put work into a second
>> theme, it's going to be the Ubuntu TV one, not the Mythbuntu classic
>> one.
>>
> The problem is that a change made at the request of one user without
> checking with other users seems odd. If you are going to make a change of
> such magnitude wouldn't it seem logical to check with other users to see if
> that would seem too disruptive? It seems strange that you would make a
> change that satisfied one user but alienated dozens of users.

I didn't make the change because a user told me to. I made the change
because a user said "hey, this specific issue seems broken" (something
that you still haven't done) and I agreed it was something that needed
to be changed so I changed it. The change went though the normal
approval process ( I approved it ), so it was committed.

You seemed to miss some relevant parts

* this is not a design by committee

* I have final say on all design decisions

* The change I made that I'm referencing above was in 28.17 not 28.16
(and the change was relatively minor), so I'm almost certain you are
talking about the larger changes I made in 28.16 (which also went
though my approval process detailed above).

As to forking. I took a look at the repo and noticed there wasn't a
license file included (at least not one for the theme itself). By
default, a repo on github without an attached license defaults to "All
Rights Reserved". Since that wasn't my intention, I've uploaded a new
commit with a license file attached so you may make any local changes
you want. (or you could tell me what the actual issues you are facing
is and I might make a change)

--
Thanks,

Thomas Mashos