[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR trials and tribulations.

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Dec 21 04:14:54 UTC 2014

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 23:16:00 +0000, you wrote:

>?Look at your kernel log and you'll likely see your USB3 is crashing.  I have not yet found stable USB3 drivers for Linux (stick with USB2).
>

>________________________________

I guess that it depends on what USB 3 chip your motherboard has,
because I have never had any problems with Mythbuntu on my Asus
M5A97Evo motherboard.  I have been running two hard drives on a dual
external USB 3 drive mount, and occasionally using a USB 3 stick.  I
have not tried USB 2 devices on the USB 3 ports.  And similarly on my
MSI GT70 laptop with Mythbuntu - the only problem I had there was that
my USB 2 DVB-T tuners did not work on my USB 3 ports in Mythbuntu
12.04 the first time I tried them.  I have not tried again with more
recent kernels.  USB 3 devices on the USB 3 ports work flawlessly.  I
certainly have never had any problems on the USB 2 ports due to having
USB 3 working.

The USB 3 ports on the Asus M5A97Evo seem to be an Asmedia ASM1042
chip, and on the GT70 they seem to be part of the main Intel chipset.