[mythtv-users] Cheap frontend for christmas

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 04:17:30 UTC 2014

On 12/19/14 3:21 PM, jedi wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 12:45:28PM -0600, John Marshall wrote:
>> On 12/19/2014 9:30 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
>>> Hello and thanks for the replies,
>>>
>>> ECS Liva really look interesting, but what about the HD contents,
>>> which driver works with this device?
>>>
>>> The RPI could not manage the HD content.
>>>
>>> Kind regards.
>> Many Kodi (formerly XMBC) users successfully use Raspberry Pis with
>> HD content up to 1080p.  I borrowed a friend's for testing and could
>    I have a PI and I do not find it satisfactory. It's also not
> packaged in a very novice way. It's not something that looks
> like an appliance. It looks like what it is (hobby experiement kit).
>
> [deletia]
>
>> As for NUCs and Chromeboxes, you may want to check the Kodi forums
>> even if you plan on using MythFrontend.  They are quite popular
>> there and they each have discussion threads with reports from Linux
>> users.  Just beware that different models have different
>> capabilities.
>     Quite. Issues overlap between MythTV and XBMC and there are a lot
> of XBMC resources out there that are useful HTPC and PC users in
> general.
>
>     The instructions I used to get Ubuntu on my Chromebox were from an
> XBMC forum. Very handy.
I know some work was being done with cubox, no reports on how the
efforts have been going though.
I'm thinking of toying about a bit with either my old cubox or the newer
high end model under android and see how that plays out.
But, that'll be in a few months. Both time and money are scarce due to
both the season and life.