[mythtv-users] Cheap frontend for christmas

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 19:44:24 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 9:37 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Karl,
>>
>> I am really interested in this device. I have some questions:
>>
>> 1. Is it posible to power on the device from the USB? Didi you try to
>> to power on from MCE remote? In the BIOS there will be something like
>> USB wake up.
>>
>> The BIOS does have a wake-on-USB option and I enabled it but I haven't
> tested it yet (it's so low power I plan on just leaving it on all the time).
>

>> 2. Could you try to play some HD content? Here you have some examples:
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nzone_hdcontent_home.html
>>
>> I'll see if I can find some time to download some samples and try playing
> them with mythavtest, although I'm using an HDMI to composite converter and
> it runs at 1280x720, so I'm not sure if my results will be all that useful.
> I could try hooking up a VGA monitor but I think it would still be
> 1280x1024 or something. I'd have to bring it in to work to get a full HD
> screen to test with. FYI, though, my initial test with the mythtv sample
> was on a 1680x1050 screen and it was very smooth.
>
> Karl

I have one of these, and it plays back high def recordings fine using
VAAPI. I had been using a first generation NVIDIA ION platform using VDPAU
and at first I thought there might be a slight picture quality difference,
I think those were either imagined, or were so slight that I quickly got
used to it.  I have not tried blue ray rips or anything like that, but for
OTA MPEG2 recordings from a HDHR Prime, it is working well.

Bill