[mythtv-users] too tight

Leo Butler leo.butler at member.ams.org
Fri Dec 19 19:34:18 UTC 2014

Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> writes:

> Greetings Mythizens, recently I installed a 32 Gb SSD for my OS and use the
> two 1Tb drives for storage, it seems, however that the remaining 14 Gb or
> so space on the SSD is too tight for manipulating HD recordings with
> mytharchive, so I'm considering moving mytharchive to one of the Tb drives,
> which has plenty of space for such operations. So a move from here:
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ ls -al /var/lib/mytharchive
> total 12
> drwxr-xr-x  3 root   root   4096 Dec  1 13:03 .
> drwxr-xr-x 75 root   root   4096 Dec  1 13:03 ..
> drwxrwsr-x  5 mythtv mythtv 4096 Dec  1 13:10 temp
> to here:
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ ls -al /media/storage2/mythtv
> total 20
> drwxrwxr-x 5 mythtv mythtv 4096 Nov  5 13:56 .
> drwxr-xr-x 5 root   root   4096 Nov  2 09:26 ..
> drwx------ 3 daryl  daryl  4096 Dec 19 11:53 Dropbox
> drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Dec 19 11:53 recordings
> drwxrwxr-x 2 daryl  daryl  4096 Nov  2 09:24 rsync
> could be accomplished with the command"sudo mv /var/lib/mytharchive
> /media/storage2/mythtv"  and then a link would need to be created with the
> command "sudo ln /media/storage2/mytharchive /var/lib" and then check
> ownership and permissions. Will this plan of attack accomplish my goal? Are
> the commands correct as presented?   Daryl

Use a bind mount instead. After you copy what you need to your new
mytharchive directory, add a line at the bottom of /etc/fstab:

/directory/on/big/disk /var/lib/mytharchive none bind

where the /directory/on/big/disk is the path to the directory that you
copied mytharchive to.

Then, at the terminal, do

sudo mount /var/lib/mytharchive
mount

You will see a line in the output of the second command showing you that
/directory/on/big/disk is mounted at /var/lib/mytharchive.

By putting this in /etc/fstab, this bind mount will be done at every
boot, and there will be errors at boot if something goes wrong
(i.e. early). Symlinks will only reveal errors when you attempt to do
something (i.e. too late).

That's my 2c.

Leo