[mythtv-users] Cheap frontend for christmas

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Fri Dec 19 18:45:28 UTC 2014

On 12/19/2014 9:30 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> Hello and thanks for the replies,
>
> ECS Liva really look interesting, but what about the HD contents,
> which driver works with this device?
>
> The RPI could not manage the HD content.
>
> Kind regards.

Many Kodi (formerly XMBC) users successfully use Raspberry Pis with HD
content up to 1080p.  I borrowed a friend's for testing and could play a
1080p Bluray rip.  It also handled 1080i HDHR Prime recordings once I
purchased the mpeg2 license.  Reports on the forum are that the
deinterlacing on the Pi is quite good, but I didn't give it enough
scrutiny to compare to my NVidia cards.  The Pi supports CEC.  So the
Pi, using OpenElec and Kodi as a frontend, is a viable cheap option.

The just-announced ODroid-C1 is the same price as a Pi and seems more
powerful.  Android and Linux images are supported, so an actual Myth
frontend may be possible there as long as hardware mpeg2 deinterlacing
is supported.

As for NUCs and Chromeboxes, you may want to check the Kodi forums even
if you plan on using MythFrontend.  They are quite popular there and
they each have discussion threads with reports from Linux users.  Just
beware that different models have different capabilities.