[mythtv-users] Display issues with new system

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Dec 17 23:23:10 UTC 2014

I am currently running Fedora 19 and Myth 0.27-3 from rpmfusion. It works
very well. With F19 going out of support, I am in the process of upgrading
to F21.

I don't have a spare server to play with and I can't afford to have my Myth
system out of service, so I do this by installing F21 on a separate
partition, and booting into it when I have time to work on the new system
and nothing is scheduled to be recorded. As a result, I've been working on
it for a month and have just gotten started.

I installed Myth 0.27.4 and Mariadb, copied over the database, and let it
upgrade. So far so good; I can start mysqld, mythbackend, and mythfrontend,
 and see all my recordings. (Once I get it working, I will then have to
copy the database and upgrade it again, but what I have in place now is
adequate for doing the work that needs to be done).  The current problem is
that when I go to play back a recording, it is shifted half a screenwidth
to the right (so I see the left half of the picture on the right side of my
screen). Everything else I have tried on the system displays properly
(including the theme menus in Myth, I'm using Steppes); I only see this
when playing back a recording in Myth. (These are recordings made from
HDPVR devices, the older style, if that matters). The audio sounds fine,
only the video display is shifted.

I have tried nouveau, the newest NVIDIA driver from rpmfusion (343.22-4),
the oldest Nvidia driver from rpmfusion (304.123-2),  and the driver
downloaded from the Nvidia web site that is recommended for my GeForce GT
640 (340.65) I have tried all the Nvidia drivers with and without using
VDPAU. The result is the same in every case: picture shifted right.

Anybody got any idea what I can look for to debug this?

Thanks,
--Greg