[mythtv-users] Fedora 19+ and MCE remote

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Dec 15 16:28:39 UTC 2014

On 12/15/2014 12:31 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 18:42:45 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> Thanks everyone for the advice. I had been running kernel 3.15.* and just
>> now upgraded to 3.17.6-200 (the latest Fedora 20 stock kernel). I have an
>> MSI motherboard and it seems there's no way to disable USB3, so I just have
>> to hope that the "while USB3 is enabled, USB is wonky" isn't the case. I
>> have some hope that this isn't the case, since I'm using a USB keyboard and
>> mouse with this setup and those seem happy.

>> The default udev rules will normally create a /dev/lirc0 device - the
>> problem with using it is that if you have more than one tuner with an
>> IR receiver, the receiver attached to /dev/lirc0 can change on each
>> reboot.  Hence the need to have your own udev rules and use a name
>> like /dev/lirc-mce that you have matched to the correct device.
>>
>> My MCE IR receiver shows "Enabled protocols: RC-6" at the end of its
>> ir-keytable -r output, which is what you would expect it to default to
>> for working with any MCE remote as they all use the RC-6 protocol. MCE
>> IR receivers like yours and mine, and I suspect most of them, can also
>> receive many of the other protocols used by other remotes such as RC-5
>> which is also very common and is what is used by my Hauppauge Nova
>> TD-500 and HVR-900r2 remotes.  So if you have other remotes, you can
>> use them with the same IR receiver if you switch the protocol being
>> used.  It is possible that somehow the protocol is not set correctly,
>> so you could try adding "-p RC-6" to the ir-keytable commands.

It's been a long time since I setup my frontends. But they are on CentOS
6 which is based on what, Fedora 15? So there is some applicability here.

I remember having to jump through this hoop. Looking at my lirc setup, I
see the file /etc/udev/rules.d/lirc.rules which contains:

KERNEL=="lirc[0-9]*", NAME="lirc%n", MODE="0660", GROUP="lirc"
KERNEL=="lirc0", SYMLINK="lirc"

And I do have /dev/lirc and /dev/lirc0