[mythtv-users] Episode limits on recording rules

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Dec 15 15:14:11 UTC 2014

On 15/12/14 12:13, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/15/2014 06:58 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> What I wondered was, is there a simple way I can record a user-supplied number
>> of episodes and then make the rule inactive? The "keep so many episodes" won't
>> do it because it will delete the oldest and keep recording new, which may mean
>> I lose episodes before I view them if a repeat happens before I get round to
>> viewing.
>
> Only if you enable, "Delete oldest if this would exceed the max episodes" rather
> than "Don't record if this would exceed the max episodes."
>
> That said, I'm a proponent of occasionally going in and deleting old/unnecessary
> recording rules.  I do this every couple of months by going into Recording Rules
> and sorting by last record date, then looking at the ones that haven't recorded
> in a long time.

Unfortunately sometimes I can't just go in and delete old rules like that unless
I know they are for one-off productions. Sometimes we get a 12-part series
starting in January and then nothing until the following year. Sometimes we get
"occasional" specials and I would like those to be caught and flagged.

Just making the rules inactive, so that I can tick the box in mythweb and look
at what gets thrown up to rule out reruns, is my way round this.

That's why I find the myth recording rules to be so great, it catches things I
might miss because I've forgotten about them.

I'll have a play with the options you mention above and see if that produces the
expected result.

--

Mike Perkins