[mythtv-users] ECS Liva for frontend - brief report

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Mon Dec 15 04:48:04 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had to add into /etc/dracut.conf this like so dracut created the
> initramfs with the mmc driver in it:
>
> add_drivers+="mmc_core sdhci_acpi sdhci mmc_block"
>
> By default on fedora 20 it did not include the drivers for it so
> failed to boot.   Others have indicated that with updated fedora 20 it
> does include the correct modules, but that would also mean that it may
> not work on other distributions under certain conditions.
>
> And I had to modify the usb stuff on 3.16.6 to get the mce remote
> control to work, the specific mce remote receiver I had did not work
> without the patch I found that is not yet included in 3.17 either.
> Otherwise it is found, but it never correctly gets the keypresses from
> the remote.
>
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM, Rich Freeman
> <r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 7:37 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
> >

> >> Thanks, I've been looking at that page. What does your partition table
> look
> >> like? My EFI boot partition ended up as only 2 MiB (since I followed the
> >> Gentoo install handbook), and according to what I'm reading an EFI
> partition
> >> should be between 100-300 MiB.
> >
> > First, the standard handbook still is BIOS-only - it should certainly
> > be updated and hopefully once it is migrated to the Wiki that will
> > happen soon.
> >
> > Second, the 2MB partition is NOT your ext2 boot partition even if you
> > are using BIOS.  That is just extra room for grub to use.  The boot
> > partition in the handbook is 128M, which still seems a bit tight these
> > days.
> >
> > Third, none of that applies to you since you're using EFI.  The most
> > likely problem you're having besides too little space is that your
> > boot partition has to be FAT32.
> >
> > --
> > Rich

Thanks, Rich, I think that was the major problem. I was able to use gparted
(a great tool; my first time using it) to move my partitions around and
make partition 1 (grub boot) 128 MB. I also changed the flags to boot,efs
(gdisk EF00; was bios_boot, gdisk EF02). After those changes, and actually
being able to format it FAT32 (it was FAT12 before due to the small size),
I finally get it to be recognized by the BIOS. I think this BIOS only
supports EFI, not legacy MBR type booting. Now I just have to get the right
mmc drivers into the kernel or create an initrd (I was trying to keep it
simple). And Roger, thanks for the notes on the specific modules and also
about the MCE remote, since I have one of those coming too. Once I get it
successfully booting on its own that will be a major step and I can put the
clunky monitor away and do the rest of the setup via ssh. By the way, I
found some nice notes from Intel on this very system here:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/application-notes/atom-e38xx-n2xx-bay-trail-ubuntu-setup-app-note.pdf

The notes are about setting up Ubuntu, but they have some useful details
about setting up the graphics and WiFi. Bluetooth is apparently not yet
supported. Looks like VAAPI should work, so that will reduce the CPU load.

Karl