[mythtv-users] ECS Liva for frontend - brief report

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 04:38:41 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Ozzy Lash <ozzy.lash at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Ozzy Lash <ozzy.lash at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> After installing I pulled the thumb drive and it booted right up.  Some
>>> others have reported success with other distributions (Fedora 20 I think)
>>> and mentioned something about having to boot into rescue and chroot and do
>>> a yum update.  Not sure about gentoo.  I think debian is using grub-efi to
>>> be able to boot with the uefi bios.  You might look to see if there is
>>> anything about installing gentoo on a uefi system.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>

>> Like maybe this:
>>
>>  http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Gentoo_Quick_Install_Guide
>>
>> Good Luck!
>>
>> Bill
>>

> Thanks, I've been looking at that page. What does your partition table
> look like? My EFI boot partition ended up as only 2 MiB (since I followed
> the Gentoo install handbook), and according to what I'm reading an EFI
> partition should be between 100-300 MiB. By default grub installs the x64
> efi and it didn't complain about lack of space. It only dropped one file in
> that partition, which was about about 180 kB. I'd like to avoid
> repartitioning and starting from scratch if possible but at least I've
> saved the kernel config, which is what has taken me the longest so far.
>
> Karl

Here is what cfdisk shows for my partition table

Disk:
/dev/mmcblk0

                                                           Size: 29.1 GiB,
31268536320 bytes, 61071360 sectors
                                                      Label: gpt,
identifier: 73CBE4E8-FF55-4604-A789-20663CE69991

    Device
Start                       End                   Sectors
Size Type
>>  /dev/mmcblk0p1
2048                   1050623                   1048576
512M Linux filesystem
    /dev/mmcblk0p2
1050624                  57104383
56053760                  26.7G Linux filesystem
    /dev/mmcblk0p3
57104384                  61069311
3964928                   1.9G Linux swap

I think I have heard that you should disable swap to the eMMC device, so I
could probably recover that.

Even though the mmcblk0p1 is marked as a Linux filesystem, it is formatted
and mounted as vfat. That partition (/boot/efi) has one file
(/boot/efi/debian/grubx64.efi) that is only about 120k, so I think the 512
meg is overkill.