[mythtv-users] Fedora 19+ and MCE remote

Justin Moore justin.nonwork at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 02:26:30 UTC 2014

> > 1) Is seeing "/dev/lirc0" but not a "/dev/lircd" a problem?
>
> /dev/lircd is a simlink to /var/run/lirc/lircd created by the lircd
> deamon.
> There is an ongoing move of the run directory from /var/run to /run
> where /var/run is kept as a simlink to /run for compatibility. It
> could be that if you don't have that simlink, that lirc gets confused.

Maybe this is an Ubuntu vs Fedora thing? When I start lircd I still don't
see a /dev/lircd but I do see the /var/run/lirc/lircd socket.

> > 2) Even before I get to the lirc stage of the configuration, should
> > I be able to see input from the remote via 'ir-keytable -t'?
>
> I think you do need lircd running, but I could be mistaken.

Even with lircd running I see nothing.

It seems that there's some duplicate configuration happening between
/etc/sysconfig/lirc and /etc/lirc/hardware.conf. Does one take precedence
over the other?

At the moment it's unclear as to whether the kernel or lircd should be
handling this, and I haven't seen a clear explanation in any of the
documentation yet.

Grrr.

Any other suggestions? This is amazingly frustrating.
-jdm