[mythtv-users] Shutdown / Restart Frontend

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 17:55:25 UTC 2014

On 12/13/2014 11:18 AM, Kevin Johnson wrote:

> One fronted works and one does not work.
>
> On both machine the permission is set the same.
>
>   ls -l reboot
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14784 Jul 18 02:46 reboot
>
> Why it works on one and not the other is odd.  Both machines are running
> the same version of ubuntu and myth.

And from your original post on this topic:

 >> E CoreContext exitprompt.cpp:148 (reboot) User defined RebootCommand failed, falling back to alternative methods.

That says that the command you (or your distribution) defined in
Frontend -> setup -> Reboot command failed. So you should compare
those values. When it fails, the frontend attempts to do the
shutdown via D-Bus and if that fails, with: sudo /sbin/reboot

Another test would be to start the frontend with the: -v system
flag and look at the command that was supposed to be executed
in mythfrontend.log.

Whatever the command is, you can run it from on command
line and see if it works. Once you've got it working on the
command line, you can change it in the frontend setting.

At least on my Mythbuntu host, /sbin/reboot (without sudo) fails and
returns: reboot: Need to be root.

--
Bill