[mythtv-users] Scheduler runs slowly causes backend to lock up

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 17:58:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Paul Netherwood <pnetherwood at email.com> wrote:
> I'm beginning to wonder if its just coincidental that the time increase happened near a version upgrade but what was really happening is that a temporary table that could fit into memory was now being moved onto disk.

Seems possible.  Note that most current distros specify
tmpfs for /tmp, and /tmp is where mysql places its
temporary tables (by default).  This mitigates against
most temporary table overflows to disk if you have the
memory available.  If your /tmp is still a real disk, or
your tmpfs swaps due to memory constraints, things
can get slower without appropriate tuning.  200 seconds
sounds extreme, but it would depend on your specific
environment.

> It occurred to me that it has been ages since I had a look at my mysql config and did a bit of tuning. After a bit of tweaking I was able to get my place times from well over 200 seconds to just a over a second!

Should I reopen the can of discontent and mention that the
current need for user tuning is certainly one reason that
embedding the DB (and its configuration) will be goodness
for the majority who just want a toaster?