[mythtv-users] Missing log files filling system drive

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Dec 4 16:30:36 UTC 2014

On 03/12/14 09:02 PM, Mark Pennock wrote:
> I am using a 60 GB ssd for my system drive and I just had to re-install
> the system due to running a program the completely filled the system drive.
>
> My kernel log is 19.6GB in size and it doesn't seem to be auto-rotating
> so I can delete the old logs.

This result is a good example of why /var should be on its own
partition. If /var fills up, the system will stop completing certain
processes but will continue to run. You can switch to a terminal and
delete the errant files without even requiring a reboot.

But if /var is on the same partition, you will likely be unable to do
anything. At the least you will have to reboot to a live USB in order to
get access.

BT:DT

Geoff