[mythtv-users] Comcast encrypting World Series on FoxHD

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 22:53:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM, Bob Shanteau <rmshant at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the second problem, she said she created a new ticket and is forwarding the issue to the encryption group. She understood that FCC rules dictate that the CCI flag I see on the STB should be 0X00 for all but the premium channels.

Technically, that is not entirely true (but if she wants to
forward it on that basis....).  A cable provider can mark
any/all content whatever CCI that they have negotiated
with the content owner.  The OTAs are special, and
typically CCI=copy_freely, but everything else can be
CCI=<anything>, and on TWC (for example) are set to
Copy_Once for everything other than the OTAs.  Which
is perfectly legal (although not at all open source friendly).

That said, various statements by Comcast are that
it is their policy that everything other than the premiums
are copy_freely in their franchises.  I do not think
that that would even be considered to change until the
decision (and the policy alignment discussions).

In any case, good work.  It sounds as if you are
making progress.  It is absolutely no fun having to
spend the time on this when you could be outside
collecting data for the analysis of mudslide
behavior.