[mythtv-users] Permanently changing aspect ratio on a recording

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Tue Dec 2 02:46:11 UTC 2014

On Dec 1, 2014, at 8:48 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> GetTV decided to air an old Frank & Bing Xmas special, filmed in 4:3, as 16:9.
>
> So suddenly Bing and ol' Blue Eyes were short and squat. Manually changing the aspect ratio made things ok, but I was wondering if there was a way to permanently tell Myth to play that recording in 4:3 to up the WAF.

I'm also curious about this and did some googling: assuming you're dealing with an mpeg2 file you can change the video's aspect ratio header without reencoding and myth will follow along. I was about to suggest ffmpeg but it seems it doesn't implemented such a function. However, according to this post:

	http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2012-August/008749.html

mencoder does implement an aspect ratio change and a sample command line is given. Before experimenting I would copy my original someplace safe and rebuild myth's keyframe index afterwards.

There's also some interesting info here:

	http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/365875-How-to-Change-Aspect-Ratio-of-MP4-Video-Without-Re-Encode-using-ffmpeg

- George