[mythtv-users] Permanently changing aspect ratio on a recording

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 02:27:33 UTC 2014

Hoi Ian,

Tuesday, December 2, 2014, 2:48:04 AM, you wrote:

> GetTV decided to air an old Frank & Bing Xmas special, filmed in 4:3, as 16:9.

> So suddenly Bing and ol' Blue Eyes were short and squat. Manually
> changing the aspect ratio made things ok, but I was wondering if
> there was a way to permanently tell Myth to play that recording in 4:3 to up the WAF.

> Thanks.

Normally they than embed the 4:3 in 16:9 with black bars on left and
right. Or if it's still old pal, they use the full space in stead of
with black bars on top and bottom. Setting zoom to auto and aspect
override to off or the channel value, most of the time lets Mythtv
then figure it out correctly. I am still recording old analog Pal and
having aspect override to 4:3 and zoom to auto works ok on my 16:9
screen with both 16:9 and 4:3 shows. I only often manually set 4:3
to 14:9 so I don't have those big ugly bars and it then still looks
ok.
I have no experience with changing's on the channel's aspect ratio to
accommodate this. But since the aspect ratio info should be in the
mpeg file, I guess it should work if you let MythTV figure it out.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop