[mythtv-users] Is CRID an international standard?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 1 14:43:54 UTC 2014

On 11/28/2014 06:28 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 28 November 2014 at 11:13, Angela wrote:
>
>> Myth should have on option to use the programID/seriesID for scheduling or
>> ignore them. I submitted a request:
> Considering duplicate detection using programID when generated from
> XMLTV data is broken

Yes.

>   (can't tell difference between season 1 episode
> 11 and season 11 episode 1, for example)

Actually it can.  The first has a 111 and the second a B01 at the end of
the program ID.  This has been this way for many years, now.

And if there's any time when the program ID would be impossible to
represent with our structure (i.e. any episode of season 36+ or episode
100+ of any season, no program ID is generated, so MythTV uses the
user-specified duplicate matching method (i.e. subtitle + description or
whatever).

>   with no sane resolution on
> the horizon, this would be a good move and one that I would make use
> of*.

Actually, there is--and it's the /only/ sane resolution.  The resolution
is likely to be (or at least should be) the removal of the code that
generates program IDs from XMLTV data, since auto-generating them from
generally bad, or at the least, imprecise, data is a broken approach
when we already allow user-specified duplicate matching methods on a
per-recording rule basis.

The problem with auto-generating is that it breaks when 2 series have
the same title.  So, after you watched all 24 episodes of Battlestar
Galactica from the original 1978 TV series (all in season 1), MythTV
would think you've seen all 13 episodes of season 1 of the 2004
Battlestar Galactica TV series, and you'd either have to clear your
recording history for the first 13 episodes of Battlestar Galactica 1978
or disable duplicate matching to record the new series.  Better would be
to use the data the listings provider gave and /not/ fake a program ID.

Mike