[mythtv-users] PCI motherboard, or switch to PCIe/USB/net?

Rob Jensen bertaboy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 16:28:32 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 9:25 PM, Marco Nelissen <marco.nelissen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> My motherboard died and so I need a replacement. The thing is that I
> currently have three PCI capture cards, and motherboards with 3 PCI slots
> are increasingly hard to find, and apparently don't last very long (this
> one lasted 2 years).
> I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile to switch to PCIe, USB or
> networked capture cards, or whether I should stick with PCI. Also,
> suggestions for an LGA1155 motherboard that will last more than 2 years are
> welcome.

I'm a big fan of having networked tuners.  They may not be your ideal
solution in the short-term, but could be if/when your existing capture
devices begin to fail.

I can't speak for the Ceton lineup, but the HDHomeRun devices tend to work
nicely in my environment.  If you have a PS3, you can also use cable card
versions to watch DRM-protected channels without using WMC, TiVo, or using
those awful cable boxes from the MSO's.