[mythtv-users] upgrading to kenel 3.16? (PCTV 292e triplestick supported)

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Sun Aug 31 14:32:30 UTC 2014

On 31 Aug 2014, at 14:46, Tim Draper <veehexx at zoho.com> wrote:

> I've had enough of my budget DVB-T USB dongle semi-freezing every 3-4 weeks and making recordings unwatchable until a reboot, so I look into the 290e to see it has now been superceded with the 292e model.
>
> After a but of research, it seems that only the >=3.16 kernel will natively support it.
> This is where i fall down. I've never upgraded a kernel to out-of-repo state before.

Not exactly answering your question but…

I have a T290e and a T292e, the 290 is on the main mythtv backend (Ubuntu 12.0.4.5) and the 292 is attached to my desktop PC, Ubuntu 14.04 and OSX dual boot.

About every two or three weeks the T290e freezes up needing a usb un plug and re plug or a server reboot. The T292e is running with the standard 14.04 kernel and media build for the updated drivers. You don’t have to run a newer kernel but maybe it works better if you do...

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

The T292 may freeze up every now and then too but the desktop PC is shutdown or rebooted every week or so anyway so I wouldn’t know.

Reading around the linux media mailing list it seems pretty common that USB tuners are flaky whether they are budget or otherwise.

Andre