[mythtv-users] upgrading to kenel 3.16? (PCTV 292e triplestick supported)

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Sun Aug 31 13:46:31 UTC 2014

I've had enough of my budget DVB-T USB dongle semi-freezing every 3-4 weeks and making recordings unwatchable until a reboot, so I look into the 290e to see it has now been superceded with the 292e model.

After a but of research, it seems that only the >=3.16 kernel will natively support it.
This is where i fall down. I've never upgraded a kernel to out-of-repo state before.

My BE is a general purpose opensuse 12.3 x64 server (3.7.x kernel). It hosts mythtv, libtorrent, file share and virtualbox. Nothing too weird and wonderful.

My question is, what effect would upgrading to an out-of-repo kernel be? I guess i'm looking for a pros/cons of doing it, both initial deployment and longer-term notes.

Thanks